If you’re considering a research project — or have one in the application stage — chances are you have questions about funding.
Where do I look for funding?
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) offers funding to colleges through its College and Community Innovation Program.
Engage Grants support short-term research and development projects that address a company-specific problem.
- This is a maximum grant of $25,000 over six months.
- Your company cannot have previously partnered with SAIT on applied research.
- Your company must have two full-time employees and have been in operation for two years or more.
- Your company must be actively involved in the project.
Applied Research & Development (ARD) Grants support well‐defined applied research and development projects undertaken by college researchers with their private sector partners.
- Direct project costs are shared by the company partner(s) and NSERC.
- Projects may range from one to three years long.
There are two levels of ARD Grants:
- Up to $75,000 per year: The company must actively participate and contribute at least half of the amount requested from NSERC, in cash and/or in-kind — of which at least $10,000 must be in cash.
- Between $75,000 and $150,000 per year: The company contribution must be equal to the amount requested from NSERC, in cash and/or in kind — of which half must be in cash.
How much could our research project get?
The grant money is paid directly to the research college and its a great way to leverage your research investment. Amounts available range from a one-time $25,000 cash infusion to $150,000 annually for the duration of your three-year project. The amount of money to be secured by ARIS will depend on the scope of your project and how much cash and in-kind you are able to contribute from your enterprise.
How long does it take to secure grant money?
Some grant decisions are fairly quick — a matter of 4 – 6 weeks. Others may take several months to receive approval or have only one application period annually.
What is the application process when seeking funding?
The first step is to supply good information: The more thorough you are, the quicker it can be submitted and approved by the funding body. Visit the SAIT website, locate the Project Inquiry Form and answer the question in as much detail as you can.
Another important consideration is to know which grants to apply for, and when. ARIS’s experts will help you maximize your investment.
CA416, Aldred Centre, SAIT Main Campus